If you need to store contact information that is specific to your business or industry, you'll need to create custom fields. The Infusionsoft contact and company records already have a collection of standard contact data fields that apply to most businesses (e.g., phone, email address, street address, etc.) You are able to add up to 100 custom fields per record type. The record types are: Contact, Company, Task, Opportunity, Order, and Referral Partner records.
Custom fields are organized by tab, header, and field. A tab contains a collection of fields that share a common type or purpose. Headers are subcategories that groups fields within a specific tab. There may be multiple headers under one tab. A field holds information about a contact. There may be multiple fields within one header. The image below is of a contact record.
- Go to Admin > Settings
- Select a record type from the drop-down list and click on Go. This page displays a custom field summary. You can see the fields you've already created and add new custom fields.
- Select Field from the drop-down and click on Add
- Enter the Field Name. The name is the field label displayed within an Infusionsoft record. It should be short, descriptive and include at least one alphanumeric character. This is a "back-end" field name. You can customize contact field names when using them on prospect / customer facing forms and landing pages.
- Select the Field Type. Warning! If you save a new custom field as the incorrect field type, you will not be able to edit and change it's field type. In this case, you will need to delete the incorrect custom field and restart the creation steps.
- Click on the Show advanced options to organize this field by tab and header
- Tab: Choose a tab from the drop-down list or add a new tab.
- Header: Choose a header from the drop-down list or add a new header. The header groups fields within the tab.
- Click on Save this Field
- The new tab, header, and field are now displayed in the custom field summary
- Click on Edit to change the tab, header or field names.
- Click on the arrows to change the order of headers and fields.
- Click on Delete to completely remove the field from the database.
Warning! When you delete a custom field, all data contained in the field will be removed forever. This process cannot be undone!