A note template is used to record a personal interaction or event related to an individual contact record. Note templates save time by reducing or eliminating manual follow-up changes, and can prevent user errors and omissions. Note templates can also be used to initiate automation in Infusionsoft.
Pro-Tip! A standalone note template is not tied to automation. For that, you will need to use the campaign builder to configure campaign note templates. This article will focus on how to create a Standalone Note Template type and how to apply it to a contact record.
There are three types of note templates:
- Campaign Goal Note Template: This is the more common type of note template and is set up in the campaign builder. When this type of note template is applied to a contact, campaign automation begins; it is defined as a Goal in the campaign builder.
- Campaign Sequence Note Template: This type of note template is also configured in the Campaign Builder. Unlike a campaign goal note template, this type of template does not initiate automation; it simply automatically adds a note to the contact record as part of a campaign sequence.
- Standalone Note Template: This type of note template is not built using the campaign builder; therefore it does not kick-off campaign automation when applied to a contact record.
Set Up a Note Template
- Go to Marketing > Templates in the main navigation menu
- In the Add a Template drop-down, select Note
- Enter a title for the note template Note: The title is used to identify a note template in various lists throughout the system. It should be short and descriptive.
- Choose a privacy option
- Public: Choose this to make the template accessible to other Infusionsoft users.
- Private: Choose this if you want to hide this template from other Infusionsoft users.
- Enter the body of the Note
- (Optional) Action Type: Select a note type from the drop-down (e.g. Call, Email). You can customize these options by going to CRM > Settings > Task/Appt/Note Settings.
- Action Description: Enter a brief action description. The description should summarize the nature of the interaction or event (e.g. Qualifying Call - Voice Message 1). It will show up in the note history within a contact record.
- Creation Notes: Enter general notes that further describe the interaction or event. Users can individualize the note when they apply the note template to the contact record.
- (Optional) User ID: "Logged In User" is the default. This means that Infusionsoft will attribute this note to the user who logs into Infusionsoft and adds the note to a contact record. Select an individual user if the note template should always be attributed to one specific user instead of the "logged in" user.
- (Optional) Notify these Users: Select user(s) who need to know when this note is used. These users will receive an email notification when the note is applied.
- (Optional) Send Notify as BCC: Mark this check box if you do not want each notified user to see all of the users who are notified.
- (Optional) Click on the Actions tab to add one or more action to the note template
- (Optional) Click on the Categories and Follow-Up Sequences tab to assign this template to a category. The categories are used to help you organize and filter templates in Infusionsoft.
- (Optional) Click on the Misc. Expense tab to assign a cost per person to this template.This is not commonly used with note templates, but can include the cost of materials and labor related to the note event or interaction.
- While on the General tab, mark the note as ready. Notes that are not marked as ready are not available to users.
- Click on Save button to create the note template
To apply a note template
Open the contact record, scroll down to the Notes section, and select the note template from the drop-down. After you select your note template and click Add Note, the note will be applied.